Hunting with a borrowed gun

Hunting with a borrowed gun

Postby rookiehunter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Can I hunt with my father-in-law's gun in NJ. The gun is registered in Pa. Thanks.
rookiehunter

Re: Hunting with a borrowed gun

Postby XexorZ » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:56 pm

First off, this isn't legal advice - cause I'm not a lawyer... so take this as you will... I aint responsible for it ;-)

I believe that it is going to depend on a lot of factors, one of which is where you are from.

In NJ you need a FID and paperwork to "transfer" a weapon to someone.
If you are hunting with a borrowed gun it must be 'transferred in the field' - that is, the lending party must be present.

In order to own a firearm you need a FID (unless it was willed to you in which case you're not allowed to take it out of your home from what I read... there may be other exceptions... but this too is gray from what I read).

Now if you are from PA I don't know if you need a FID or all that paperwork to own or transfer it - so if you have a PA drivers license and a NJ non-resident hunting license you likely wouldn't be asked for a FID in the field.

If you are from NJ and borrowed the gun in PA and left directly from PA to the field in NJ with the gun in tow you may be able to just say you brought it straight from your relatives in PA....

Bottom line: It all appears gray to me. I doubt you would be asked to present a FID in the field - but this could happen, especially if you are traffic stopped etc on your way there.

My 0.02 - someone who knows more about this please chime in! I feel like I only confused myself :banghead:

[soapbox mode engaged]
This just goes to show you how these laws that were put in place with the premise of keeping guns out of the hands of criminals only hurts us citizens who have NO MAL INTENT and only serves to turn US unwillingly and unknowingly into criminals.
[end soapbox mode]

p.s. - Welcome to the forum and good luck this season! :mrgreen:
XexorZ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Runumngunum » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:21 pm

Use the gun and go out and shoot a big Buck :thumbsup: then theres always a Bear :thumbsup:
Runumngunum

Postby TSPenn » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:21 pm

I've seen this question several times. From what the majority I heard was that you do not need a NJ FID card. That card is only needed to purchase a firearm from a dealer. It applies to nothing else. You must I believe must have a NJ Firearms Hunting lisence. This became a huge debate on NJH and finally someone posted the law. I always thought a FID was needed, but the consensus was pretty stong I did not.

I very well may be wrong, not a lawyer...never even played one on TV.

TS
TSPenn

Postby RifledSlug » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:03 pm

You are right TS, if you have a firearms hunting license, you can hunt with a borrowed gun, origin of gun doesn't even matter as there was no sale of the gun. Technically, you are supposed to take possession of the gun at the hunting location but there would really be no question if that didn't happen. If you were to get stopped and had it in posession and your hunting license, you'd be legal as long as you were traveling to or from your hunting location.
RifledSlug

Return to NJ Deer Hunting